Prosthetic and Orthotic Project Manager, Gaza Strip, occupied Palestinian territory
Closing date: 15 May 2010
Location: occupied Palestinian territory - Gaza strip
Handicap International is looking for Prosthetic and Orthotic Project Manager
CITY: Gaza Strip
Starting date: June 2010
Length of the assignment: 7 months
Closing date for application: May 15th
Advertisement reference: PMPOGAZA
Handicap International is an international organisation specialised in the field of disability. Non-governmental, non-religious, non-political and non-profit-making, it works alongside people with disabilities, whatever the context, in response to humanitarian crises and the effects of extreme poverty. Handicap International implements programmes of assistance to persons and local organisations, inclusion programmes and programmes focusing on the fight against the main causes of disability. It runs projects in almost 60 countries, with the support of a network of 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United-States, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) The organisation employs almost 3300 people worldwide, 330 of whom work in France and in its European and North American sections. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
The deteriorating socio-economical and security situation in Palestine has resulted in an increased number of persons in need of physical rehabilitation services. This is due to higher risk of injury and disease and poor access to relevant health care. Many persons injured during the last conflict became permanently disabled due to the extent of their injuries as well as secondary complications such as infected wounds, contractures, or secondary amputations. Although many of these people received physical rehabilitation and assistive devices, ongoing physical rehabilitation and assistance is still required to respond to all the needs of the persons with disabilities.
Under the management of the Head of Mission (HoM) you will ensure the projects objectives mainly to ensure that Persons with Disabilities and persons with conflict related injuries have improved access to physical rehabilitation services in the Gaza Strip and more specifically Persons with amputations and orthopaedic impairments will have improved access to quality rehabilitation.Challenges and goals: You will ensure the overall management of the project called: “Reinforcement of the capacities of rehabilitation services for Persons with amputation or orthopaedic impairment in Gaza”.
• Participate to the methodology definition to be used in the project.
• Lead process for participatory project biannual review and planning sessions with her/his team and to ensure that project activities, outputs and outcomes are captured and documented adequately
• Direct the implementation of the project and project monitoring procedures.
• Ensure fluid communication with ALPC.
• Ensure in coordination with administrator and HoM that document related to partnership are done within HI framework.
• Write the activity reports related to the project.
• Manage the financial and Human resources of the project through HI procedures
• Launch and set up project’s quality approach in terms of realization and impact.
• Identify any technical or documentary resources or additional skills for guaranteeing the quality of the project. .
• Participate in capitalizing on the association's experience gained on the project.
CANDIDATE PROFILE:Mandatory: - P&O ISPO 1 (or 2?)
- At least 5 years of professional experience with an international org
- Experience/knowledge in assessment of therapists
- Experience as trainer (need assessment/ training design and training delivery) in P&O workshop
- Experience in management
- Excellent analytical, planning, organising and task prioritisation skills.
- Capacity to formalize tools and procedures
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)Complementary:
- Experience in the Middle East/Islamic contexts or conflict areas
- Budget management
- Arabic knowledge would be an advantage
REQUIRED LANGUAGE SKILLS: Excellent level of written and spoken English (working language).
The P&O PM will be based in the Gaza strip with travels to Jerusalem. The situation is very volatile. Violence could be on a daily basis (air strikes, ground to ground missiles, Israeli incursion, Home made rockets, etc.). Expatriates have to respect strict security rules. The guesthouse and the office are in the same building. Because of the difficult living conditions, she/he will have the opportunity to go out every two week-ends and to come to Jerusalem. In Jerusalem, the situation is tensed also but it is more possible to have a “normal” life: no curfew and no restriction of movements.
Volunteer: 750 or 850 Euros monthly indemnity + living allowance paid on the field + accommodation + 100% medical cover + repatriation insurance
Salary: 2000 to 2300 euros before tax + 457 Euros expatriation allowance + 100% medical cover + repatriation insurance
How to apply
Please send resume and covering letter with the reference: PMPOGAZA to: HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL - 14, avenue Berthelot - 69361 LYON CEDEX 07By Email: email@example.com Or by our website: www.handicap-international.frPlease do not telephone
Reference Code: RW_84WJW6-91